Green Tea, Cancer and how it works
“EGCG is doing something to damage the mitochondria and that mitochondrial damage sets up a cycle causing more damage and it spirals out, until the cell undergoes programmed cell death,” said Lambert. “It looks like EGCG causes the formation of reactive oxygen species in cancer cells, which damages the mitochondria, and the mitochondria responds by making more reactive oxygen species.”
As this mitochondrial demise continues, the cancer cell also reduces the expression of anti-oxidant genes, further lowering its defenses.
“So, it’s turning off its mechanism of protection at the same time that EGCG is causing this oxidative stress,” Lambert added.
The EGCG did not cause this reaction in normal cells.
* Potent inhibition of VEGFR-2 activation by tight binding of green tea epigallocatechin gallate and apple procyanidins to VEGF: Relevance to angiogenesis DOI: 10.1002/mnfr.201400478
- Green Tea Compound Shows Promise against Oral Cancer (ibtimes.co.in)
- Green Tea Could Counter Oral Cancer, and Here’s How (natureworldnews.com)
- Does Green Tea Have Oral Cancer Killing Benefits? (designntrend.com)
- A cup of tea could hold the key to cancer cure, new study reveals (express.co.uk)