New study presented at the World Congress of Cardiology organized by the World Heart Federation
Dubai (20 April 2012): Omega-3 fatty acids may help to reduce the physical harm caused by smoking, according to a new study presented today at the World Congress of Cardiology.
The study, carried out in Greece, assessed the effect of four-week oral treatment with 2 g/day of omega-3 fatty acids on the arterial wall properties of cigarette smokers. The results showed that short-term treatment with omega-3 fatty acids improves arterial stiffness and moderates the acute smoking-induced impairment of vascular elastic properties in smokers.
“These findings suggest that omega-3 fatty acids inhibit the detrimental effects of smoking on arterial function, which is an independent prognostic marker of cardiovascular risk,” said Dr. Gerasimos Siasos, University of Athens Medical School, 1st Department of Cardiology, “Hippokration” Hospital. “The cardioprotective effects of omega-3 fatty acids appear to be due to a synergism between multiple, intricate mechanisms involving anti-inflammatory and anti-atherosclerotic effects. Furthermore, AHA recommends that people without documented history of coronary heart disease should consume a variety of fish (preferably oily – rich in omega-3 fatty acids) at least twice per week.”
“The World Heart Federation strongly encourages all smokers to quit,” said Dr Kathryn Taubert, Chief Science Officer at the World Heart Federation. “The only way to protect your body from the harmful effects of tobacco is to stop smoking. We encourage all people, both smokers and non-smokers, to eat healthy diets, which includes foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids.”
- Omega-3 fatty acids may help to reduce the physical harm caused by smoking (eurekalert.org)
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids Reduce the Effects of Smoking (ivanhoe.com)
- Statin and omega-3 fatty acid combo may provide cardioprotective effects (fngnutrition.ca)
- Omega-3 fatty acids prevent arterial stiffness in postmenopausal women (foodconsumer.org)
- Omega 3’s Anti-Inflammatory 60ct Bottle, Arthritis Pain Relief, Most Concentrated Omega 3’s Essential Fatty Acids (findmedicalsolutions.com)
- Omega-3 fatty acids may help heal a broken heart (medicalxpress.com)