A man who admits cooking and serving his own severed genitals to paying diners has been handed over to prosecutors on an allegation of indecent exposure, police said.
The police sent their case against the 23-year-old man and three other people who helped organize the event to the Tokyo District Public Prosecutor’s Office, they said Tuesday.
They did not identify by name any of the suspects.
The police are not pursuing charges for dishing out the genitals as Japan has no law against cannibalism.
The man earlier identified himself as Mao Sugiyama and an “asexual” illustrator.
In an email in May, he confirmed the event had taken place and said it was organized to raise awareness about “sexual minorities, x-gender, asexual people.”
A spokeswoman for the Tokyo police said the four people conspired to “openly display the severed male genitals to the assembled 71 guests” at a music club from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. on May 13.
“Every one of them has admitted that they did it,” she said.
If convicted of indecent exposure, which is known as the display of obscene objects, they can be jailed up to two years and fined up to ¥2.5 million each.
In tweets on May 18, the artist said steps were taken so his act met all relevant laws, including a ban on organ sales, processing of medical waste and even food sanitation requirements.
Sugiyama said his penis and testicles had been surgically removed by a physician in March and certified free of infections. They were kept frozen for two months before the event in Suginami Ward.
Diners each paid ¥20,000 for a portion.
The police probe followed a complaint from the ward mayor.
“Many residents of Suginami and elsewhere have expressed a sense of discomfort and feeling of apprehension over this,” Mayor Ryo Tanaka said in a statement.
Categories: Health Technology News